Wednesday, August 30, 2017

We can all get along!!

I don’t really watch the news. If I have the news on, it is a local news station and all I want is weather information. I don’t watch CNN, FOX News or any of those others either. It’s depressing, infuriating, and all around unpleasant.

Basically, I get enough information to not be ignorantly uninformed.

The devastation of Hurricane Harvey has had me glued to social media and news like the rest of the state. I know people who live in Houston and the surrounding areas and thankfully are safe.

The great State of Texas has stepped up and shown compassion to the affected folks and for that I am a proud Texan. I hope the way our state has reacted the last week shows people around the USA that no matter our differences we take care of our own.

Here is what I ask from Texas and from the US of A. Once the water has receded, buildings have been rebuilt or repaired, and children are back in school while parents are back at work remember this compassion from day to day. When there is a disagreement or a confrontation step back and remember what your neighbor did for you.

Tragedy brings out the best in people. I feel like that is an oxymoron. Why can’t we always just be the best version of ourselves? The elated accomplished feeling that you have right now from donating your money, items, time or prayers to victims of Hurricane Harvey can be kept all year long! Not just on the days Mother Nature decides to tear a coast line apart. Do you remember what filled the news outlets before Hurricane Harvey? I do. We humans cannot seem to learn that if we took a moment to stop screaming at each other, blaming each other, hurting each other, and minded our own business from time to time we might get a little further in the fight.

Respect during a rally or an educated non-derogatory speech catches my attention. You know that saying "respect demands respect," think along those lines. Be the Martin Luther King Jr. and Eleanor Roosevelt for today. There are bad people in the world. I am completely aware of that and I am not asking you to sit idly by while decisions you disagree with are made for you and your Country. However, violent actions and screaming do not make me listen or want to fight for your cause. It makes me scroll past the news article on my FB feed or turn the TV off. You become white noise. I don’t think twice about you. Respect goes two ways. You show it and I’ll give it. Use the feeling you have right now from showing compassion to your neighbor when you decide to stand up for what you believe is right!! Take the chip off your shoulder, find your words and explain.

We are inundated with news. It is readily at our finger tips and for that we are constantly plugged in. It is a noise hard to escape. Take a minute to stop listening. In that quiet time listen to your gut. Listen to your head. Say a prayer. It scares me how easily someone else’s opinion is taken as the holy grail of truth. We are instantly outraged from what we see or read we don’t think rationally. Put the phone down and use your brain!

As people in Houston, the Caucasian, African American, Latino, Asian and whoever else lives there fight alongside each other to save everything they own- take a note. Working together gets us a lot further than arguing across an alley. Showing compassion and respect while treating others the way you’d like to be treated is a change of pace for the USA as of late, I pray people take notice.

I know it is not as easy as “can't we all just get along,” but honestly at this point what would that hurt? Maybe your pride? Get over yourself. This is me pleading out to the void for people to meet my expectations of being good and using their head. Take a look at the fellowship, compassion and respect going on right now in Texas and think to yourself “oh that might work.”

My title was meant with a touch of sarcasm. The news and internet pre-Harvey was filled with the normal hate filled, violent, vulgar stories it normally is. I understand that is out there in our world, but then Harvey hits and it brings out the best even in the news stations! We are holding hands, helping thy neighbor-singing Kumbaya together. Give me more of these stories because it happens more often than what you are lead to believe. I often wonder, and don't worry I have noticed when writing, "I often wonder" a lot. Get use to it, I am having revelations. I often wonder if we stopped giving the hate so much air time and demanded more happy news worthy stories what would happen?? Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

I feared writing this that it may entice negative or debate style comments. I will delete them. Yes, I invite you to read, but this is my outlet find your own for those comments.

Dear Lord,
I pray for the safety of those effected by Hurricane Harvey. I pray for the safety of those with the rescue efforts. I pray for families separated, that they find each other safely and unharmed. I pray for what is to come after; the rebuild of homes, business and each other. Please continue to watch over and guide all those that need you. Oh Lord, In your most Holy Name I pray.
Amen.








No comments:

Post a Comment

One year later.....

Here we are once again. A year since I started these writings of ramblings and thoughts. Some of the posts have been brilliant, thank y...