Monday, August 7, 2017

What I learned over XIT weekend….

Dalhart, TX just finished up its annual XIT Rodeo and Reunion and what I learned was that this little place I call home works very hard for this event.

This year was the first year for me to volunteer. I’ve always come to enjoy the festivities that are XIT, but never been behind the scenes. I would call my volunteering minor in the grand scheme of things and I am here to tell you by Saturday afternoon I was tired, looking forward to a shower, and ready to lounge at home.

For those not familiar with XIT, I encourage you to go to the website and read about the traditions and events, http://xitrodeoreunion.com. This will explain without me having to ramble on to much more.
For short, The XIT Rodeo and Reunion is the first weekend of August. Events start the first Thursday of the month and continue to Saturday. Some of the things throughout these three days include:

-watermelon feed
-free pork chop feed
-tractor pull
-craft show
-XIT queen competition
-FREE BBQ feed
-live music and dances all three nights
-parade
-Of course the Rodeo!! 

There is MUCH more to add, but again check out the website: http://xitrodeoandreunion.com.

For those that graduated from Dalhart High School this is also a weekend of reunions. Sometimes it’s a planned reunion and sometimes you run into people at random and are able to catch up. For those that no longer live in Dalhart it’s an opportunity to bring their children here to enjoy what they love most about XIT.

Traffic in town gets heavier and even though it may take you an extra 5 minutes to get from A to B or as you stand and wait for a table at La Espanola, remember this traffic is money for our little town. Mo' people means mo' money. XIT represents our little place in the world. It's a time to reflect on what makes Dalhart special. When I lived in San Marcos people would ask where I was from and I’d say “Dalhart, TX” the immediate reply I got was “oh, XIT is there.”

Yes sir it is.

People will often complain that XIT is not what it once was. I agree to some extent. I remind myself, Dalhart is not what it once was. Things change and we all have to adapt to those changes to be successful and XIT is no different. As long as the traditions at its roots are present then by all means do what you need to do to be successful for Dalhart.

Everyone has their suggestions on how they can make the XIT Rodeo and Reunion better or “what they should do.” My suggestion to those people would be, go do it! Curbside complaints are nothing but white noise. Volunteer and get those suggestions to the people in charge. Actions always speak louder than words. I know the Directors that wear those recognizable white shirts will appreciate the help, but also may be more willing to bend an ear.

What I learned over XIT weekend is this. I appreciate it more than I ever did. I enjoyed helping and being part of something good for Dalhart. It is work and could not be done if it were not for the people of Dalhart stepping up and giving of their time and talents, for this I thank you! Finally, Thank you XIT Directors. Whatever opinion there might be of how the XIT weekend is ran, each one of them along with their families devote so much more time than just this one weekend. They deserve a thank you.

I look forward to next year’s XIT Rodeo and Reunion when we will celebrate 82 years and invite any and all to come see what this is all about. By coming you keep the traditions of XIT alive.

-Have a happy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

One year later.....

Here we are once again. A year since I started these writings of ramblings and thoughts. Some of the posts have been brilliant, thank y...